Greystoke Mahale is a remote and luxurious safari lodge located on the eastern shores of Lake Tanganyika in Mahale Mountains National Park, Tanzania. This unique lodge offers a truly immersive and off-the-beaten-path experience in the African wilderness. Greystoke Mahale is a paradise for nature enthusiasts, offering a rare opportunity to track chimpanzees in their natural habitat while enjoying the stunning surroundings of Lake Tanganyika and the Mahale Mountains. Due to its remote location, it’s important to plan your visit well in advance, and access is typically by chartered flights and boat transfers.
The lodge offers a limited number of thatched-roof bandas as accommodations. These are designed to blend with the environment and provide guests with a comfortable and unique lodging experience. Some common features of the bandas include:
- Open-fronted design for unobstructed views.
- En-suite bathrooms with flush toilets and hot water.
- Comfortable beds with mosquito nets.
- Private verandas for relaxation.
- Accommodations: Greystoke Mahale offers unique and comfortable accommodations in the form of thatched-roof bandas. These bandas are open-fronted, providing guests with panoramic views of Lake Tanganyika and the surrounding mountains.
- Main Lodge Area: The lodge’s main area includes a lounge, bar, and dining area. It’s a communal space where guests can relax, share stories, and enjoy meals.
- Beachfront Setting: The lodge has its own private beach along the shores of Lake Tanganyika, allowing guests to relax on the sandy shores and swim in the freshwater lake.
- Solar Power: Greystoke Mahale is environmentally conscious and primarily operates on solar power to minimize its impact on the natural surroundings.
Dining at Greystoke Mahale is a communal and social experience. Highlights include:
- Fresh and locally sourced ingredients used to prepare a variety of dishes, including international and local cuisine.
- Dining often takes place on the beach, creating a romantic and picturesque setting.
- Special dietary requests can be accommodated with advance notice.
Our rates are per person sharing unless we note differently. Please treat all pricing as a guide only:
- All rates are subject to availability and may change without notice.
- Single supplements may apply.
- Request a quote or speak to one of our African Safari Experts for the best, most current rates available.
Per Person Sharing
- Exceptional Location: Greystoke Mahale is situated in a pristine and remote setting, nestled between the dense forests of the Mahale Mountains and the clear waters of Lake Tanganyika. This location provides stunning views and a sense of isolation amidst nature.
- Chimpanzee Trekking: One of the main highlights of staying at Greystoke Mahale is the opportunity to go chimpanzee trekking. The Mahale Mountains are home to habituated chimpanzee communities, and guided treks offer a chance to observe these remarkable primates in their natural habitat.
- Boating and Water Activities: Lake Tanganyika offers a range of water-based activities, including boating, swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking. The lodge provides boats for exploring the lake, which is also known for its diverse fish species.
- Primate and Wildlife Viewing: In addition to chimpanzees, the area is home to other wildlife, including various monkey species, forest birds, and, occasionally, forest elephants.